Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Real Mystery of Meatloaf



Yesterday I decided I was going to accomplish just three things.  Start the blog, do 25 sit-ups, and make dinner.  Sounds painless enough but when I wrote the plan down, it morphed into a list of over thirty items.  You can guess how many things got checked off. 

This morning I was greeted with, “Thanks again for making that meatloaf, Mom.”  No good morning or hello.

I wondered, has he already mastered the technique of “guilt your opponent into submission” at the ripe old age of 8, or should I make dinner more often?  The peanut butter and jelly plan doesn’t seem to cut it anymore. 

Possibly because my usual response when asked “What’s for dinner?” is, “Oh, yeah!  About that… um, do we have any bread?” 

They respond, “No.  Do we have any clean spoons?” because they know that if I didn’t have time to see if we had bread, I probably didn’t have time to wash the dishes either.  Kids are pretty smart.

Then we try to find any left-over plastic spoons.  At least it’s not ice cream for dinner anymore.  Add a carrot stick or banana and we’re good right? 

How many years from now will the kids be sitting around the Christmas tree when someone says, “Hey, remember that one time Mom made dinner!?  It was meatloaf, right?”  Their eyes will gloss over as they search back through the depths of their memories.  Their tummies will grumble and they will lick their lips remembering.

But hey, I made the time for writing!  Maybe I will incorporate that into a book for them to cherish for the rest of their lives.  A meal is only enjoyed for a few moments.  Right?  I need to be a good example for them to know that they need to work for achieving their dreams, even if it causes a nightmare on the way.

Are you experiencing any nightmarish blessings?  Let me know about it!  Leave a comment or drop me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment